Monday, March 1, 2010

cabbage soup

A big help today has been this cabbage soup:

1 28oz can crushed tomatoes
1 onion, diced
3 stalks celery, diced
3 medium carrots, diced
1 head cabbage, shredded
1 can of green beans, or frozen is also better, I think
1 can sweet corn, I also prefer frozen
1 can beans, pinto, etc. which I make ahead and freeze in small portions

Simmer over medium heat until tender.

1 cup = 125 calories, 26.4 carbs, 8.3 g fiber, 6.4 g protein

I try to make a big pot full and refrigerate to have on hand. It helps to fill the non-starchy part of my plate without having to make a salad. It is also quite filling and nutritious. You can put all kinds of flavorings in it, or it is quite to my taste without any other seasonings than the vegetables blending together. Most people with an open mind like it, but you might have trouble with a meat and potatoes husband like mine, or a teenager.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting this recipe. I love cabbage and it's one of the top ten foods to eat. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made a big pot of your cabbage soup. It's great to heat up for lunches when I am home alone. My husband won't touch cabbage but I love it. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete